Wednesday 22 April 2009

My writing begins!

Ok so I'm here again!
I've got over the woman flu -which was hell - and now desperatetly need to write something. It's funny, but once you start getting into the habit of writing, it's really frustrating being in a position where you are not able to write. Combination of being unwell and having the kids off school has been very hard. It's made me realise that I need solitude to write and no distractions of any kind.

Anyway I'm awaiting the feedback from my first assignment from the Writers Bureau. It was just a short descriptive assignment. My next one will be the non-fiction assignment - an article for a magazine. I'm currently working my way through the workbook, but I must begin to research all the different types of mags out there.

My Artists' and Writers' Yearbook came today. I've had a quick look at it and it's jammed full of information regarding all aspects of writing. I've read the comments from the published authors and it's made me realise how important it is to stop procrastinating and just to get on with the writing. I'm feeling really enthusiastic about my writing again, I just need to get on with it now. I still feel the occasional self doubt creep in though, as to whether I can produce anything that is publishable, but what the hell...I've got to give it a go! Surely all writers when they start out think-can I do this?

I have a few ideas for some short stories, some funny and some sad, so I need to get them down now. It's no good just having them buzzing around in my brain.

My plan for tomorrow is to get one of them down, and then to revise a short story I created last week. I think I will send it off to a writing competition, its a very short story; only 750 words so the word limit is very tight.

Thats all for now x

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry about your material being publishable or not - that's why you are novice, and that's why you are taking the course. Enjoy the process,and polish your skills, and you will get there one day.

    Short story ideas sound cool. That's one thing I always have trouble with. I can come up with millions of novels ideas, but short stories just stump me.(I always did like long-winded talking :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like we had the same kind of spring break. I also got sick and could write.

    I feel so excited reading your post. I am just starting writing again 8 months ago after a 15 year hiatus so I am a little on the rusty side. Now that I'm blogging full time I can't wait to wake up and get started.

    ReplyDelete