Tuesday 2 March 2010

My writing begins...again!

Well, after several months of not having a clue as to what the hell I was doing with my life - starting a politics degree then transferring to a sociology one; I have come back to that old chestnut in me that will not go away: writing. I've had to withdraw from university as I'm moving house and relocating to Cheshire so I've made the conscious decision to become a writer. It's now or never!

I have an idea for a novel and I've started to research for it. I've also commenced a notebook/file for my novel: so any ideas; observations; snippets of conversation; character ideas; or dialogue that pops into my head, go into my notebook for future reference. My memory is crap so it's important I do this or I'll end up forgetting so much stuff. More importantly, its a place where I can keep all my ideas that flow out of me when I allow myself the time and space for my imagination to wander. Its amazing what your mind can produce if given the freedom to do so. Something I have learned about myself is that I've found I'm more creative when I write with a pen as opposed to sitting looking at a computer screen.

I've decided to use this blog as a space to talk about the process of writing and how I'm getting on with it, a kind of a writers journal or diary.

Finally I've just enrolled on the Open University's 'Starting writing Fiction' course which will be starting in May 2010, I'm hoping that the feedback from the tutor and the other students will be beneficial and constructive for my writing. It should also be an excellent way for getting some of my fiction work to be read by other writers/students on the course's forum.

1 comment:

  1. I find a nice piece of manchego cheese washed down with a bottle of Rioja works wonders for the creative process. Have fun and good luck!

    ReplyDelete