Monday 4 May 2009

Feedback, feedback, feedback!

I finally got my feedback from my first Writers Bureau assignment last week, and it was worth the wait! It was very positive and there was nothing significant to be changed. It was such a relief, as I am constantly wondering: am I up to this?

I'm continuing to read the 2nd book of the course and I'm finding it very interesting. I'd never have thought of studying a magazine's contents before; analysing and understanding how articles are written for specific magazines. I would probably have just written something and then sent it off to a magazine, expecting them to just accept it. I'm so glad that it's made me analyse the market first, think about what articles I want to write about, and then write the article in line with the way the magazines want.

I do feel a little apprehensive about contacting editors though. Why is this? Is it because of my idea of what an editor looks like - working in a big publishing building, standing behind a desk screaming, 'Get this...ditch that...I woudn't publish this crap....I want more of this...but definitely not that...deadlines, deadlines, deadlines', whilst smoking a big fat cigar, and stroking their beards...and that's just the women!

Anyway I've now got a few ideas for some articles, but think I really need to look very closely at the market so will have to update my blog as I'm going on! x

2 comments:

  1. Well done you. Would love to read some of your writing sometime! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not all editors are like Miranda Priestly in "The Devil Wears Prada"!

    ReplyDelete